No organisation can prosper without its band of dedicated enthusiasts and workers,
so we honour here those who have made significant contributions to the development
Iris Combe (tilehouse) 1914-
In 1956 Iris was involved in an impromptu discussion at the Suffolk County Show
regarding the possible establishment of an East Anglian Collie Club, and by this
time she was already a successful breeder and exhibitor of Rough Collies. Smooth
and Border Collies were later added to her Kennel, all of
which fitted with her wider interest in ‘British Herding Breeds’.
One of our Founder members, Iris is best remembered as a knowledgeable
and prolific author. However, she also enjoyed judging all of her breeds, both in the UK and internationally, and her opinions were always worth hearing.
Miss E de Belle Ball (killartry) — Both Founder and committee member from our earliest
days, Miss de Belle Ball’s collie activities first came to prominence in the 1930s.
Living in Woodbridge, Suffolk, she was one of the few who managed to maintain a nucleus
of breeding Collies throughout the war years, and was therefore well place to play
a significant role in re-
Refusing an invitation to become our first President in 1958, giving travel difficulties
as her reason, Miss de Belle Ball did accept the honorary role of Vice-
John became the Club’s first Chairman, holding the office until 1975 when he was elevated to President, a position he held until his death in 1983.
Alan Jeffries (jefsfire) — despite being based in the Midlands with his wife Kath, Alan was a Founder Member and possibly instrumental in persuading the Midland Collie Club to sponsor The East Anglian Collie Association’s application for Kennel Club recognition. The Club was further honoured when he agreed to judge the dogs at its inaugural Championship Show in 1975.
Mrs George H “Bobbee” Roos (wickmere) — Founder Member and the East Anglian Collie
Association’s inaugural secretary. Unfortunately her husband, a Lieutenant Colonel
in the American Air-
Keenly interested in education and welfare issues, her writings and lectures were so popular that the Collie Club of America’s Collie Health Foundation published her writings as a limited edition entitled ‘The Collective Writings of Bobbee Roos’. Whilst this has since become a much sought after collectors’ item, her book ‘Collie Concepts’, first published 1982, remains in print and continues to be recognised as a ‘standard work’.
Jim and Joyce Sargeant (carramar) — Jim and Joyce were successful Rough Collie breeders, best remembered for their beautifully coloured Blue Merles. Their contribution to collie development was considered of such significance that their Carramar affix is now permanently protected by the Rough Collie Breed Council.
Although living just outside the East Anglian boundary, Jim became the Club’s President
in 1964, replacing the international all-
Jim held a number of offices spanning a period of forty years. Initially he brought stability to the important office of Secretary which he held from 1967 until 1970; followed by Chairman from 1975 to 1983 before being elevated to the office of President in 1983. He held this position until 2007, whilst Pat had the distinction of being our longest serving Secretary, fulfilling this difficult role for the sixteen years between 1970 and 1986.
After expressing a wish to retire from active involvement in 2007, the EACA committee invited Pat & Jim to become the Club’s first Patrons, an honorary position they kindly agreed to accepted in a joint capacity. Sadly, Jim passed away in the spring of 2017.
Derrick Clarke (beaublade) — Derrick had formerly been Treasurer of the Collie Association
and when he and his wife, Thelma, moved from London to Haverhill in Suffolk, they
were elected onto the committee of the EACA. Derrick held the position of Chairman
between 1984 and 1992, with a two-
In recent years Derrick had suffered with heart problems so it was a shock to hear that Thelma had died in December 2017. Derrick, too ill to attend Thelma’s funeral on 27th December, sadly passed away on 8th January 2018.
Lyn Westby (lowerpark) — Initially Essex-
Lyn was elected onto the committee of the EACA in 1980, becoming Chairman in 1988.
Apart from a two-
In recent years Lyn had moved further south to be nearer her family and, after leading a full and active life, she sadly died on 28th December 2017 at the age of 93.
Derrick was instrumental in introducing the Club Rule ‘ A committee member must have served for at least three years before he/she can be elected as an Officer’ . This rule has served the Club in good stead ever since (see EACA’s Constitution).
Arthur and Muriel Lindsey (ivanmoor) — Arthur and Muriel were based in Whittlesey, near Peterborough where they ran a small Collie Kennel, based mainly on the Ladypark lines. Their first Rough Collie was ‘Beau Of Hawthornden’, born in 1948 and nicknamed ‘Rex’, hence the ‘Ivanmoor Rex’ trophy that was donated many years ago to the EACA as an Open Show trophy.
mrs hazel collins (better known as hazel hunt, rifflesea)
mrs iris combe (tilehouse)
miss e de belle ball (killartry)
mr ralph fendley (ralveras)
mrs h goodwin
mrs pru green (coverdales)
mr alan jeffries (jefsfire)
mr b lancaster
mr b le grice
mr & mrs arthur lindsey (ivanmoor)
mr john mycroft (mywicks)
mr john parrott (larkena)
miss dora peek
mrs d roseberry
mrs bobbee roos (wickmere)
mr t swan
mr j trower
mrs a west
mr j wellbourne